In 2020, Western University created the Office of Indigenous Initiatives. The office leads the
The Indigenous Student Centre strives to be a home away from home for Indigenous students. You can talk with our academic advisors or Visiting Elders, meet other students and join in activities and cultural events.
For more information about the Indigenous Student Centre, read the Indigenous Viewbook, or email the Manager of Indigenous Admissions and Enrollment.
The Indigenous Student Centre is a vital space on campus for Indigenous students and communities to come together and nurture a sense of belonging. You can visit the Centre to access its computer lab, kitchen facilities, lounge area, quiet study space, Elder’s office, quiet meditation room and more.
You can access a wide range of Indigenous Student Centre programs and services:
- Cultural and social programming on campus includes Visiting Elders, smudging, drumming and singing groups, teaching/sharing circles, weekly beading circle, and monthly corn soup lunches and dinners/socials.
- Recruitment, admission and transition provides Indigenous applicants with supports that include customized campus tours, presentations and school visits, as well as pre-application, application and admission support.
- Current student support pairs you with our academic advisor who can provide advice about degree planning, course registration, add/drop dates, accommodation requests and appeals. Tutors at the Indigenous Student Centre are available for a wide variety of subject areas by drop-in or appointment.
- Mentorship and leadership supports include an Indigenous Circles of Support program that pairs incoming Indigenous students with upper-year Indigenous students for cultural and academic support.
- Student work opportunities and skills development services help you find part-time work and summer job opportunities in the areas of Youth Outreach. You can also access a volunteer program, employment listings and career counselling. The Indigenous Student Centre also runs a leadership program for students to build their skills and give back to the local and campus community.