Student FAQs

Quick Links

How do I ensure that I meet the requirements to complete my degree program?

It is important to familiarize yourself with the regulations set out in your university’s academic calendar. An academic calendar outlines important dates, such as when terms begin and end, when exams will be held and when your reading week breaks will be.

You will also need to be aware of the final dates to add and drop courses, and the financial deadlines associated with registration, including final refund dates.

To find a university’s academic calendar, visit their website or contact the university’s registrar.

Top of Page

Can my parents, guardians or supporters access my academic information?

Due to privacy laws, your student record information (including application, admission and registration information) will not be released to your parents, guardians or supporters without your written permission. To give your parents, guardians or supporters access to your student record information, you will need to fill out an information release form.

To find these forms, visit the university’s website or contact the university’s registrar.

Top of Page

Is residence right for me?

Residence is convenient – your classes are only minutes away. You live in a furnished room and have access to several resources designed to help you succeed, both academically and personally. You may also meet people who will become lifelong friends.

If you want more privacy or personal space, and freedom from regulation and supervision, you may prefer living off-campus.

Top of Page

When should I start my off-campus housing search?

You should begin your housing search as early as possible. This allows you to explore more housing options and reduces the stress of a last-minute search.


  • Begin by searching your university’s off-campus housing listings, which often include rental advertisements.
  • When you are searching for an apartment, search regularly and persistently. Check for new ads daily and visit as many units as possible.
  • Research what typical rental rates are for the area you are searching in and bring an inspection checklist when you visit units so you can do thorough checks and record your thoughts about each place you visit.

Top of Page

I have a question about my degree requirements. Whom should I contact?

Your university’s academic advisors are your first point of contact for helping navigate degree requirements and making sure you are taking the courses you need to finish your program of study. You may also want to contact your future or current department with questions about course selection.

Top of Page

Where can I find information about transferring from another university or college?

You can find out more about transferring to an Ontario university from another university or college by contacting the university you are interested in. They can provide more information about their transfer policies and supports.

You can also find out if you are eligible for course transfers through the Ontario Council on Articulation and Transfer, an organization that provides information about credit transfers in Ontario.

Top of Page

Back to Top